Development of a Constitution for the People of Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, the Alexis Chief & Council met with Alexis elders, members and youth to discuss the development of a Constitution.
The leadership is proposing to establish a Constitution to protect the nations lands, resources and interests. This is the first meeting of many.
The leadership invites elders, youth and members to join the conversation.
Prayer Intentions & Ceremony
Community Meetings & Discussions with Elders & Members
Isga Translations & Drafting of Constitution
Review with Members & Revisions
Final Review & Community Referendum
Community Ceremony & Celebration Implementation
Questions for Community Information Meetings:
- Who are we?
- What are our beliefs, values and principles as a community?
- What information can we share in the constitution?
- How will we transfer knowledge not within the constitution for our children and future?
- How would Constitution be said in Isga?
How can members be part of the process?
- Join the conversation.
- Educate yourself on constitutions.
- Research stories from other nations and tribes
- Contact other nations that have constitutions and ask them questions about what is working, and what is not
- Share your feedback.
- Visit the Knowledge Keepers and ask them about our history.
- Attend community meetings.
- Help make decisions.
- Share the information with your family.
- Participate and vote at the referendum.
For more information contact:
Band Councillor Hank Alexis Or Deanne Kasokeo, LLB, ANSN Legal Counsel
at the Band Office: 780-967-2225
Or email Deanne at email@example.com